March 16, 2009

Your Space [014]


"My partner’s parents have built an underground eco ‘bunker’ in St David’s on the Pembrokeshire coast, where we spend many happy days. From the outside it looks like a hobbit house, covered with sedum, grasses, wild flowers and butterflies in the summer. You expect it to be dark, but the interior is filled with light. It feels like an upturned boat because of the amazing curved ceiling beams and port-hole windows."

 

"I’m always at peace in this space because it’s part of nature; glass walls mean there’s no real boundary between the inside and the rocks and plants surrounding it. No TV, no traffic – just sunny walks in salty fresh air, barbecues on the beach and the sound of the sea. If I’m in ‘the bunker’, surrounded by the people I love, with fresh fish, good books and red wine – I’m in heaven."
Ellie Tennant, interiors journalist and stylist for Ideal Home magazine, The Design Mole blogger and founder of Molly Cotton

2 comments:

  1. This looks gorgeous - really cosy, although I bet it's also cool in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm impressed with this too. I think it's quite a brave design to explore. I wonder what prompted them. Did they see something similar?
    Joe

    ReplyDelete