March 14, 2009

SpaceTM meets designer Yu Jordy



Where's your favourite space?
The Tate Gallery of Modern Art in London.
How would you describe the interior of your own home?
White. Like a blank canvas. It's the start of creativitity.
What was the inspiration behind your new paper cut lampshade?
The Cloud Lamps were inspired by my architectural design projects. When I was doing my MA in Architecture at the Royal College of Art London, I used paper to make architectural models and exhibited at the Venice Biennale. The public loved my models and wanted to buy them, so I decided to transform the architectural models to a domestic product that people can buy and use to enhance the atmosphere of a home.


 
As an architectural designer, I think three-dimensionally; I don’t see the lampshade as an object but a space. My passion is to create sensational spaces for people. I am interested in how it feels for the 1:50 scaled people on the lampshade in the designed spaces, whether it is a church, playground, shopping mall, park or school; and how it feels like for us when the lamps are lit at home.
 
I don’t see lighting as an additional element to the architecture, but an integrated part of it, driving the relationship between the solid and void, adding life to the architecture.
 
As an architectural designer I wish to create better environments for other people, that’s not only by designing beautiful and sustainable buildings, but also exquisite sustainable product.

Pictured: paper-cut lampshade by Yu Jordy Fu

No comments:

Post a Comment